Thursday 23 July 2009

Three times a graduate

When three of my friends graduated from the uni shortly after each other, they decided to throw a graduation party together. We decided to get a present for each but with the same theme, so a similar card was needed. It didn't take me long to come up with the idea of puzzle pieces.

It took a while to make the templates for the card blanks and they did need a bit of careful tweaking to get the pieces to fit together seamlessly, but I managed to do it. The next question was how to decorate them. I had already decided that since there was two guys and a girl, the girl would be in the middle and the boys at either ends. Since I wanted to carry on with the puzzle theme, I needed paper which design could be aligned from one piece to another. Luckily I had this black and white gift wrap in two versions, they were perfect for these cards, black for the guys and white for the girl. It did take a bit of patience and careful aligning but it was well worth it. I decided to use this Zettiology stamp of three little clowns and decorate different clown with red in each of the cards.

The first one got red eyelets for pompoms...

...the second has nice glitter pompoms (a girl needs a bit of sparkle and bling)...

... and the third got red diamond pompoms (I was running out of things with the same shade of red, would have loved to use pompoms but didn't have small enough).

I wanted the greetings to have the same old-fashioned feel to them as the stamp, so I printed them and increased the tracking. Since the girl had Russian as her major, her greeting also needed to be in Russian (I can only hope I got it right since I never studied the language). To continue with the red accents I glued the greetings onto strips of self-adhesive grosgrain ribbon and added small metal spirals with narrow satin ribbon to the images edges. Because the shape of the middle card was so different from the other two, I decided to position the elements a bit differently in all the cards, so that it wouldn't look so much the odd one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment